Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Remembering Ute Burkhardt

Updated November 9
An improvised memorial stands a few yards off NE 7th Avenue in Dania Beach, where cyclist Ute Burkhardt was hit and killed by a truck last Thursday. Steve Bennett made the photo from the spot where Ute died. He's one of several bicycle commuters who use the road daily to avoid the faster traffic on wider roads near the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport. Fellow riders and friends of Ute, a Miami-based flight attendant with American Airlines, continue to gather information about how she died. They are planning a ride Nov. 26 to benefit bicycle advocacy in her name. Details are here, and I'll post more as I get them.

1 comment:

Shari Bernhard said...

I hope we get the word out in turbo orce and make a change for all riders in Ute's name. She would want that more than anything.

Ute was a strong, gentle, kind, and wise soul who lived her life for great causes with inspiration and determination and good will. I think I speak for everyone that knew her when I say we would like to honor her life with those same attributes.