Friday, March 02, 2007

Doctor sues neighbor kid after bike crash

MORRISTOWN, N.J. (AP) -- A bicycling doctor is suing a roller-skating child neighbor, claiming the youngster caused a collision that left him with a broken collar bone.

Dr. Alexander Dlugi, a prominent endocrinologist, maintains he approached Lauren Ellis, then 11, from behind, shouted "watch out" and rang his bicycle bell. As the girl turned around on her in-line skates, the two collided, and the doctor tumbled from his bike.
-- -- --
There's more in the Morristown Daily Record, where readers also chimed in with their views.

I haven't found anything about whether the bike and the roller-skating girl collided on a street or on a sidewalk. If it was on a walk, I'd think the doctor was clearly in the wrong under the right-of-way law in most places. And even on the street, wouldn't the skater be considered a pedestrian and the cyclist required to yield to her? I don't claim to know the New Jersey law, but this looks like common sense to me. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This blog is one of the best ways I know of to stay up to date on bicycling issues. I now have it included in my RSS feeds--don't want to miss a thing!