Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Crosswalks and creeping stops

Went riding with my honey on Sunday afternoon, along the South Dade Trail and the M-Path toward downtown Miami. Several times in an hour's ride, we had to veer around cars that were blocking the crosswalk. It's something I've been meaning to write about for a while.

What do you do with those rude drivers? I know some of you must feel the impulse to tell them off. I feel it, but usually resist. Often, the offender is so far forward of the marked stopping place that a driver in the right lane can't see enough to his left to make a right turn on red.

3 comments:

C.L.J. said...

They are supposed to stay behind the stop line until the way is clear of oncoming traffic, and a bike is oncoming traffic.
If there was no way I could be seen, I give the benefit of the doubt. But if they are in the majority of people who simply disregard the stop line, I will push my self along using their bumper.
When I'm walking, I have been known to cross hoods if they're across my right of way.

USF cycling said...

I'm pretty non confrontational so I try not to flip my lid. I usually shake my head or give someone a stare down. Of course if it happens many times in one day, which invariably does happen on the Pinellas Trail, I'll start to shout out at drivers. In all fairness we do have a stop sign on the Trail but it should just be common courtesy to let people ride through.

Eduardo E said...

I'm with CLJ... I usually ride or walk or jog as close as possible to their bumper and since they usually also block the "ramp" up the walk on the other side - i make it a point to make sure they realized that it's now blocked because they couldn't stop at the stop line...

On a tangent... I was a bag boy once, a long time ago. Drivers would illegally parallel park in front of the store right at the exit/entrance from the parking lot and into the store. Bag boys would have a difficult time steering loaded shopping carts around these cars to use the ramps to roll down to the parking surface. I'll admit that a few times the shopping cart got "squirly" on me and made contact with the culprit's vehicle. Oh well, next time use a marked stall to park in...

Bottom line, drivers are rude and inconsiderate and only care about themselves.