Monday, March 10, 2008

Humana chief a bike advocate

More reporting from the National Bicycle Summit:
The crowd heard rousing speeches from David Jones Jr., chairman of the board of healthcare giant Humana, and Brian Wademan, chief of staff for the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Jones, a competitive triathlete, spoke about Humana's successful bike-sharing program, Freewheelin', which launched last fall.

"You see me here standing as a corporate suit, but I started riding as a teenager as a bike commuter," he said, adding that though he rode his bike throughout his schooling years, later in life it became harder and more scarce.

"By my early 40s, I was borderline obese," he said. "Biking brought me back from the brink. I became a middle-age roadie."

Cycling was key to his path back to health and something he sees as key to America's growing obesity and health problems. "We want the bike to be the champion in health improvement," he said.
Read more in Bicycle Retailer.

No comments: