Sunday, March 16, 2008

Where we need bikes

A friend up in Lafayette, La., fired off a note today about the waste of gas from people idling in the drive-through lines at banks and fast-food joints. I think lots of those food and bank runs would be perfect for doing on a bicycle. Someone said to me last week that a quarter of all motor trips in the United States are for less than two miles. Your mechanic will tell you those are awful gas-guzzlers, because the engine never gets warmed up. Yet a two-mile ride on a bike is usually just delightful. Let's spread the word, eh? This is Bicycle Month in Miami and throughout Florida. What better time to give our neighbors a helpful nudge!

2 comments:

vey said...

I had heard from other people, but never saw a sign prohibiting bicycles from a drive-thru window until last week.

The sign said something like, "To encourage the safety of our customers, we only serve motorized vehicles in the drive through."

I don't remember all the details, but it was out of town and a fast food joint. I hardly ever use fast food joints, so maybe that is why I hadn't seen it before.

I use my bike at the bank all the time. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it.

Anonymous said...

I've been told numerous times at fast food spots that they cannot serve me in the drive-thru on my bike.