Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Louisiana gets a "vulnerable road-user" law

With Gov. Bobby Jindal's signature yesterday, Louisiana became the latest state to require motorists to stay at least three feet away when meeting or passing a bicycle. What sets the Louisiana law apart from Florida's similar one, though, is that it also outlaws menacing or harassing a pedestrian or cyclist.

Fines for violations in Louisiana can be as high as $200 for harassment and $250 for close passing. I'm glad to see the law enacted. Now let's see if it's enforced.

You can read more about it at LSU's Daily Reveille.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

Do you actually think that something this will actually be enforced down here? I don't!

JHop said...

Actually, I don't imagine a vulnerable road-user law would be enforced, at least in South Florida. I don't write only about what I agree with, however. And some good riders who I respect do want such a law.

On the other hand, I do think the Florida three-foot law has had some value in educating motorists. The same result might have been achieved through an advertising campaign, but, hey, I'll take progress where I can find it.