Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bogdanoff blocks texting bill

It turns out that the big roadblock to a Florida ban on texting by drivers is state Rep. Ellyn Bogdanoff of Fort Lauderdale. She contends on the one hand that texting is already covered by present law, and on the other that she would have given a hearing in her committee to a broader bill addressing more kinds of distracted driving. It makes me feel darned helpless and angry to find this out so late in the session. See today's Miami Herald, page 5B, for the rest of the story.

1 comment:

Eddie Suarez said...

I agree with her. I have been reading about this anti-texting bill but no where does it mention other distractions, ie putting on makeup, shaving, getting dressed, reading, writing, reading AND writing, or talking AND writing. I've witnessed all of this when I commuted on to Weston and Boca.

Plus, there already is a law against driving while distracted.

I think if we're going to pass a law to specifically ban texting then we need individual laws to ban each and every distraction someone could act on while driving.