Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Rider badly injured near Coconut Grove

Updated
A cyclist was critically injured just before 6 a.m. Tuesday when a motor vehicle struck him at U.S. 1 and SW 17th Avenue. His Bianchi fixed-gear bike was thrown 150 feet from the point of impact. That's about where the southbound driver stopped, too. The cyclist was not wearing a helmet. He was taken to the Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital. Thanks to Lee Marks for the report.

Rydel identifies the rider as Michael Lum. Eddy has a photo of Michael on Facebook.

8 comments:

Premitive1 said...

he wasn't wearing a helmet, but was he biking carelessly? is there any indication as to where fault may lie?
I don't ride with a helmet, and know a few riders who have also foregone this measure for decades without issue.

Anonymous said...

Who is at fault?

JHop said...

I don't think fault has been sorted out yet. Maybe someone who saw it will post here, but today I'm unable to do any digging for facts.

Leah said...

No matter who is at fault, I do hope that he is okay. I am glad that I make the choice to wear a helmet.

Leah said...

No matter who is at fault, I do hope he is okay. I am glad that I make the choice to wear a helmet.

Ralph said...

i believe this is the story you guys are commenting on.
http://miamibikescene.blogspot.com/2010/07/michael-lum-fund.html

Premitive1 said...

Ralph,
I'm pretty sure the story was up here before it was mentioned on the Bike Scene, but regardless, we're commenting on the actual event, not any specific write up of it.

MotorBike Helmets said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.