Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Everglades Bicycle Club loses a longtime stalwart

Roland Mazzotti, longtime active member in the Everglades Bicycle Club, collapsed and died Sunday afternoon while biking up the big bridge on the Rickenbacker Causeway. A friend had ridden ahead and, when he didn't appear, turned back to find a rescue crew busy at his side. Roland was a former president of the club and, if I'm not mistaken, was one of the founders, in 1976. The club's John Voss reports on Facebook that the funeral will be held Thursday at 10:30 a.m. at Epiphany Catholic Church, 8081 SW 54th Court, Miami.

2 comments:

nickiduca said...

Hi this is Suzie Mazzotti, Rolands daughter. I just wanted to let everyone know that we will be celebrating his wonderful life tomorrow night 10/13/10 at Van Orsdel Funeral Home in Kendall from 8pm to 10pm. The address is 11220 North Kendall Drive. It would be wonderful for all of his extended biking family to come and celebrate his life. He was a wonderful man, father, husband, son and brother and we will miss him dearly. But any one who knew my father would know he would want us to celebrate his life. We would love to have you all there.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear the news, your dad was a compasionate biker, many years ago when I lived in Miami and worked for the phone company, I decided to join the bikers on Sunday morning from Red Road, and when I needed encouragement because I was not experienced in climbing the bridge he was there to help.