Thursday, October 13, 2011

Ricky racers rack up road rash

That faithful reader named "Anonymous" tweaks my ear for not reporting what I think most of you knew before I did -- that a hard-charging pack of riders took a spill on the Rickenbacker Causeway yesterday during their regular early-morning ride. Normally I don't report here what's already been pretty well-covered in other local media, but perhaps I should rethink that. It would, for instance, give me an extra chance to tell you what I think as well as what I learned.

So here's what I think: Those guys and gals have almost nothing to do with mainstream bicycling. If anybody tries to hold them out to you as examples of cycling's dangers, tell them it's not the sport that's dangerous, it's the rider who blows by other road users without a warning or even the kind of margin of life we demand of motorists. I suspect that the riders in that group know the risks they're taking, and that's why you don't hear them complaining about water on the road or whatever it was that started the Wednesday morning pileup.

I'm grateful that the injuries appear not to be serious; a broken limb or worse would have been a talking point for all who want to relegate bikes to the playground. So ride on, readers, and let's really do share the road with generous courtesy.

1 comment:

Eddie Suarez - Kpeste99 said...

"it's not the sport that's dangerous, it's the rider who blows by other road users without a warning or even the kind of margin of life we demand of motorists"

My sentiments exactly! And seems it's the popular response from facebook comments too.